I created some cardboard houses at the request of a friend in the mortgage industry. She wanted a house-shaped box to use as closing gifts.
The box part came together really easily. I drew it in Illustrator and used B-flute cardboard.
The roof was another story. I had a few problems to solve – (1) make the roof a separate piece, (2)make sure it doesn’t fall apart, and (3) do that without using glue to speed up assembly. I went through several iterations, three of which I’m showing here.
I started with cutting notches into the triangle pieces that slid into holes in the roof. Not sturdy enough. The notches popped out of the holes too easily. Start over.
Next I tried using fold-over tabs. This worked, but it was a little time consuming to do eight tabs for each roof. Plus, I think the underside of the roof looked messy.
I ended up doing four tabs per roof and I made them shorter so the underside looked neater.
Inside dimensions are 4″x 3″x 4″. Finished dimensions are 5″x 5″x 6.25″.
I shot an assembly video to show how it all goes together.