The trial-and-error part consisted of me playing with the stroke thickness of each line. I bumped up the stroke weight, used the expand function, and cut the ship to see if it fit. A stroke of 2 was way too thick. I settled on a mere 0.5 stroke. That was enough to compensate for the material lost when the laser cut the light wood.
The veneer project was a success! I have a sense of victory. Pete provided more of the dark wood and after a little trial-and-error on my part, I cut the inlays and they fit perfectly!
Pete took it home, glued it to the backer, and put it in this vacuum bag. The vacuum simulates a 1,500 lb. press.
After removing it from the vacuum bag Pete sanded it, which removed the faint scorch marks on the light wood. He promised to send me a picture of the case when his grandfather’s memorial flag is in place. So glad I could help with this.